Tuesday, August 4, 2009

TALES OF THE STAY-AT-SOMEBODY-ELSES-HOME MOM



When you're staying at someone elses house, especially when it is a house without any children, you realize how much havoc can be wreaked by four boys. It's amazing how little I care about the wanton destruction of my own home. Anyway, in order to prevent the roof falling in, I have to find daily activities outside my brother and sister-in-law's house. Today, while Andy was invited to check out a Steinway grand (and what 6-year-old wouldn't want to do that?) I needed an activity for the three younger boys. Ian is completely taken with dinosaurs right now, so I googled dinosaur exhibits here in Virginia. The top result was Dinosaur Land near Winchester, VA. I've driven past Dinosaur Land many times, as I went to grad school out in Winchester, and it always struck me as a tacky, redneck tourist site, but I didn't have Ian back then. So, the three younger ones and I paid a visit. No, it's not Universal Studios, but I think it may have been a whole lot better. It's really a very nice Shenandoah Valley forest, with models of dinosaurs scattered throughout. No rides, noise, or lines. Just dinosaurs, dinosaurs and nothing but dinosaurs. It was Ian's dream come true.

No comments: