Sunday, June 22, 2008

2008 Air Show

Here are some photos from last month's Air Show at Andrews Air Force base just south of Washington, D.C. (in Maryland). The air show itself was very loud, and the boys took note.


But they had a great time going on board a helicopter, a CH-53E, I believe.


They especially liked seeing "Andrew Camden's airplane", a U.S. Navy P-3 Orion. Andy was disappointed to learn that Andrew Camden wasn't there.


We spent most of the airshow at the picnic pavilion where Tom's friend from ONI, Tim Nelick, was running a great BBQ operation. The pavilion was right at the end of the runway, so the Blue Angels flew immediately overhead. We had a great view, and a great day.



(Click to see a good shot of Andy and Ian holding their ears from the nose of the Blue Angels.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice family, nice photos. I was in VP-10 Red Lancers at Brunswick NAS from 1964-1969. We transitioned from SP-2E Neptunes to brand-new P-3As in early 1965. Any idea what squadron P-3C 314 was from?
JJ

Anonymous said...

Bigredlancer,

Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't remember where that plane was from. I was sad to hear though that they are going to close Brunswick NAS soon.

My father-in-law was a P-3 NFO at the same time you were in the community. Ben Wallis. I think his squadron had just transitioned from the SP-2E when he reported (it was the first to do so, I want to say). He was at Pax River, Md. and Bermuda (but maybe there only on deployment).

Peace,
Tom

Danielle said...

Nice, I love how they dubbed it "Andrew Camden's airplane"... so cute.

Thanks for the update!